June 23 & 24, 2020
Each year, Missouri communities dispose of approximately 1.3 million gallons of leftover paint. Missouri could gain financial benefits of $10 million annually from the collection and management of this leftover paint.
Key stakeholders from all over the state involved in waste paint management came together for the Missouri Paint Stewardship Stakeholder Meeting — a two-part virtual meeting June 23 & June 24, 2020.
- On Day 1, participants heard presentations and discussion on the problems and opportunities around leftover paint in the Show Me State. We concluded the day with an opportunity to get to know each other via virtual networking.
- On Day 2, participants enjoyed an interactive presentation from North America’s largest paint recycler, GDB International, whose recycling facility in Nashville, IL is just one hour’s drive from St. Louis.
Together, participants developed specific next steps that stakeholders can take, with a focus on implementing a statewide paint stewardship program.
- Background Briefing: A brief overview of the problems caused by leftover paint in Missouri, and potential solutions.
- Paint Stewardship Fact Sheet: A one-page overview of what paint stewardship would mean for MO (created by PSI for the MO PSC).
- Paint Management Fact Sheet: A one-page summary of extended producer responsibility (EPR) for paint (created by PSI for the MO PSC).
- Paint Retailer Fact Sheet: A one-page description of the role of retailers in paint stewardship programs (created by PSI for the MO PSC).
- PaintCare: 10 Years of Paint Stewardship: PaintCare’s 10-year anniversary was in 2019 – this is a one-page summary of the program’s accomplishments to date.
- Colorado Paint Stewardship Program: A brochure describing the PaintCare paint stewardship program in Colorado.
- Missouri PSC Fact Sheet: Overview of the MO PSC (created by PSI for the MO PSC).
- GDB International A virtual tour of GDB International’s paint recycling facility in Nashville, IL (3.5 min)
- Bay Area Muralist paints murals in San Francisco in partnership with PaintCare to spread the word about recycling paint (1 min)
- Curiosity Quest investigates what happens to unused/leftover paint in Southern California (Features IPRA member Acrylatex. 25 min)
- Alan Mendelson & Acrylatex (short informational overview of Acrylatex Paints. 3 min)
- MXI Environmental: Paint Recycling 2019 (a visual overview of the paint recycling process set to music. Features IPRA member MXI Environmental. 3.5 min)
- WLIO Spotlight (news clip featuring IPRA member American Paint Recyclers. 2 min)
- Stewardship Ontario: About Loop Paint Recycling (an animated short illustrating the paint recycling process for Ontario-based IPRA member Loop. (2 min)
- Recolor Paints (an overview of IPRA member Recolor Paints. 6 min)
- Shop Demo Depot tours Amazon Environmental’s paint recycling facility. (Features IPRA member Amazon Environmental. 4 min)
- Brief interview with Director of Sales at Visions Paints, Inc. (Features IPRA member Visions Paints, Inc. 2 min)
- Boomerang Paint by Laurentide (Features IPRA member Laurentide Paints. 7.5 min)
- Recycling Your Paint (news clip featuring paint recycling program in DuPage County, IL. 2 min)
This meeting was funded by a grant from the St. Louis-Jefferson Solid Waste Management District’s Waste Reduction and Recycling program as well as the Missouri Department of Natural Resources. The MO PSC is coordinated by the Product Stewardship Institute.